James A. Dever School
|C.A. Jaffe||Phone Number: 516-568-6123
Howell Road School
|S. Hernandez||Phone Number: 516-568-6133|
Wheeler Avenue School
|Phone Number: 516-568-6143
Willow Road School
|M. Vitalo||Phone Number: 516-568-6643
|Dr. Richard Addes||2965 Long Beach Road
Oceanside, NY 11572
Phone Number: 516-593-8953
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Please check our page periodically for important updates.
New immunization requirements for school entrance/attendance go into effect September 1, 2015 for grades Kindergarten to Grade 6. Please contact your health care provider.
New York State Law requires that schools must have on file a Certificate of Immunization signed and stamped by a child’s Health Care Provider before he/she may enter the classroom.
Physical examinations are required by New York State Law for all new students and students in Kindergarten, grade 1, 3 and 5 and classified students in the triennial year. If a physical exam is not submitted within thirty days of the start of school, your child will be examined by the School Doctor. Physical examination must be performed no more than twelve months prior to the start of school. If your child has a physical scheduled during the school year, please notify the Health Office with the date of the exam.
Medication in School:
To assure the safety of our students while in school and comply with the New York State Health Law mandates, no medications are allowed in school without prior approval. If your child has a condition which requires medication during the school day (including aspirin, ointment, eye or nose drops, as well as prescription medications), the following information must be submitted to the health office:
Written request from the parent or guardian
Written order from the physician stating:
Frequency of administration
Time of administration
Days to be given
Possible side effects
The medication must be in the original pharmacy container and brought to school by an adult. Children may never have any type of medication in their possession, even over-the-counter medication.
The medication will be kept locked in the Health Office at all times and dispensed by the School Nurse according to Doctor’s written orders.
Contact Verification Forms:
A “contact verification for students” form was included in your registration packet. Please fill out the form completely with current phone numbers where the student’s parent and/or guardian can be reached. Please, also include the name and numbers of at least two individuals who will take care of your child if you cannot be reached.
Remember to inform the school immediately of any telephone number changes.
During this school year, the following screenings will be required or completed at school:
Distance acuity for all newly entering students and students in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3 and 5.
Near vision acuity and color perception screening for all newly entering students.
Hearing screening for all newly entering students and students in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10.
Scoliosis (spinal curvature) screening for girls in 5th grade.
A physical examination including Body Mass Index and Weight Status Category Information is required for all newly entering students and students in Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3 and 5.
A dental certificate is requested for all newly entering students and students in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3 and 5.
When Should Your Child Stay Home
When should I keep my student home?
Please keep your child home if he/she
- Fever (100.4° or over)
- Vomiting – Even if it is just once!
- Bad coldStudents with a fever should return to school only after the temperature has been below 100°, without fever medication, for at least 24 hours.If your child becomes ill in school, the nurse will call a parent to make arrangements to take the child home. The school district has a policy with regard to strep infections. Any student diagnosed with a strep infection will not be allowed to return to school until he/she has completed 36 hours of antibiotic-store.com. This policy has significantly reduced the amount of strep infections in the primary grades.When a child visits the nurse, the child will bring home a “Health Office” form stating the date, time, and reason for the visit and care given. Please feel free to call your school’s nurse with any question you may have.
- Certificate of Immunization
- Contact Verification for Students
- Dental Health Certificate
- Health Appraisal Form
- Health Record
- Parent and Prescriber’s Authorization for Medication