The Valley Stream Union Free School District Thirteen recently held an orientation day to welcome eight new teachers to the District. The focus of the day was to familiarize new staff members with the District’s student-focused programs and initiatives.
During the orientation, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Judith LaRocca and Director of Technology Andrea DiMango reviewed with the new teachers the District’s policies, safety protocols, website resources, eSchooldata Parent Portal and the District’s full complement of academic programs. The goal of new teacher orientation is to ensure that all new classroom faculty are fully prepped and ready for the first day of school and the important responsibility they have taken on in educating the students of Valley Stream Union Free School District Thirteen.
The District’s eight new teachers are:
• Cindia Alvarado, Math AIS/Tech Coach, Districtwide
• Yilijhoan Callahan, English as a New Language, Districtwide
• Fiona Hobbs, Special Education, Wheeler Avenue Elementary School
• Timothy Hynes, Special Education, Wheeler Avenue Elementary School
• Kristina Karouzakis, Speech, Willow Road Elementary School
• Kristine La Croix, Special Education, Wheeler Avenue Elementary School
• Tristen Simmons, Classroom Teacher, Willow Road Elementary School
• Denise Simone, Math Coach, Districtwide
• Jeanette Walters, Special Education, Willow Road Elementary School
Valley Stream Union Free School District Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Judith LaRocca (third to right) stands with the District’s new hires (l-r) Timothy Hynes, Yilijhoan Callahan, Fiona Hobbs, Kristina Karouzakis, Jeanette Walters, Cindia Alvarado, Tristen Simmons and Kristine La Croix during a recent orientation seminar (not pictured: Denise Simone).