Kindergarten Screenings for 2022-2023
- Howell Road: Thursday, June 9/Friday, June 10
- James A. Dever: Tuesday, May 31/Wednesday, June 1/Thursday, June 2
- Willow Road (including Wheeler Ave): Thursday, June 9/
Wednesday, June 1/Monday, June 6/Friday, June 10/ Wednesday, June 15/ Thursday, June 16
Pre-K Screenings for 2022-2023
- Howell Road (Current Pre-K students): Wednesday, June 1/Thursday, June 2
Friday, June 3/Friday, June 10/Wednesday, June 15/Thursday, June 16
Central Registration Office
One Kent Road
Valley Stream, NY 11580
Judith A. LaRocca, Ed.D.
Valley Stream UFSD Thirteen
585 N. Corona Ave.
Valley Stream, NY 11580
Should you require such services; please contact the District’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Liaison for assistance:
Dr. Lisa Dunn
Requirements for Entry Into School
New York State mandates the following requirements for entrance to a new school district:
1. A doctor signed and stamped Immunization Certificate showing proof of the required immunizations as per NYS law.
2. A doctor signed and stamped Health Certificate / Appraisal form showing proof of a physical exam within one year of child’s entrance of school. ( For Kindergarten entrance this will usually mean done after September 7 of the previous year)
3. A Dental Health Certificate containing a report of a comprehensive dental examination
Vision and Hearing Screenings are done in the Spring prior to entrance into Kindergarten by the nurse. Referrals to doctors will be made, if needed.
Kindergarten Academic Screening
The children will be screened in the following academic areas:
- Recognition of letters and numbers
- Identification of beginning letter sounds
- Identification of basic shapes and colors
- Counting objects
- Fine Motor Skills
- Cutting on a line
- Writing their first name
- Holding the pencil and scissors
Speech and Language
The speech and language screening evaluates your child’s ability to utilize appropriate communication skills. These skills include:
1. Articulation – your child’s ability to produce age-appropriate sounds.
2. Language – your child’s ability to understand messages and express needs, wants, thoughts and ideas. This portion of the screening will explore your child’s ability to understand and use vocabulary, sequence events, remember sentences of increasing length and complexity, and comprehend directions involving spatial (location) and temporal (time) concepts.
3. Pragmatics (social language) – your child’s ability to separate, transition, and interact with the staff and other children.
The ENL department participates during the kindergarten screening process if a child has a home language questionnaire that indicates another language spoken. First, we speak with the parents to learn more about the languages spoken at home. Then, we conduct and informal interview with the student. Based on information ascertained from the child, we administer the NYSITELL, a state approved language assessment that measures language proficiency. The scores attained will determine the student’s eligibility for the ENL program and their English language proficiency scores of entering, emerging, transitioning, expanding and commanding. These levels establish the number of periods of ENL required based on state guidelines.
Online Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration
Please note: Only families who were selected in the Pre K lottery should register for Pre K
A child must be five years old by December 1st of the year in which he/she begins Kindergarten. Kindergarten registration is held at the school the child will attend in November of the year prior to entrance.
Records needed for registration are certificate of birth and proof of residency in Valley Stream UFSD Thirteen. Proof of immunization is also required.
You may wish to print out the registrations packet and drop off your paperwork in person. Upon completion of the packet, registration is held at 1 Kent Road by appointment Monday thru Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M., except during school closing. Please be sure to make an appointment to drop off your paperwork by calling ahead. The central registration office phone number is 516-872-5694. All registration packets will be reviewed before the student is able to attend school.
The lottery for Pre-Kindergarten is now closed. Students will be selected from this lottery on April 13, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. Members of the public may join via zoom.
Registration for New Students
New residents may register school-age children by obtaining a registration packet from their school or by calling the central registration office at (516) 872-5674. Upon completion of the packet, an appointment must be made with the residency officer for review before the student is able to attend school.
Please save the pdf with the information you enter and email the completed form, with any additional scanned paperwork, to Monique Sandorfi. Please include your last name in the subject line with “VS13 Registration”
You may wish to print out the registrations packet and drop off your paperwork in person. Upon completion of the packet, registration is held at 1 Kent Road by appointment Monday thru Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M., except during school closing. Please be sure to make an appointment to drop off your paperwork by calling ahead. The central registration office phone number is 516-872-5694. All registration packets will be reviewed before the student is able to attend school