New Student Registration:
Monday through Wednesday from 9:00 a.m to 11:00 a.m. or email Monique Sandorfi 516-872-5694
Requirements for Entry Into School
New York State mandates the following requirements for entrance to a new school district:
1. A doctor signed and stamped Immunization Certificate showing proof of the required immunizations as per NYS law.
2. A doctor signed and stamped Health Certificate / Appraisal form showing proof of a physical exam within one year of child’s entrance of school. ( For Kindergarten entrance this will usually mean done after September 7 of the previous year)
3. A Dental Health Certificate containing a report of a comprehensive dental examination
Vision and Hearing Screenings are done in the Spring prior to entrance into Kindergarten by the nurse. Referrals to doctors will be made, if needed.
Kindergarten Academic Screening
The children will be screened in the following academic areas:
- Recognition of letters and numbers
- Identification of beginning letter sounds
- Identification of basic shapes and colors
- Counting objects
- Fine Motor Skills
- Cutting on a line
- Writing their first name
- Holding the pencil and scissors
Speech and Language
The speech and language screening evaluates your child’s ability to utilize appropriate communication skills. These skills include:
1. Articulation – your child’s ability to produce age-appropriate sounds.
2. Language – your child’s ability to understand messages and express needs, wants, thoughts and ideas. This portion of the screening will explore your child’s ability to understand and use vocabulary, sequence events, remember sentences of increasing length and complexity, and comprehend directions involving spatial (location) and temporal (time) concepts.
3. Pragmatics (social language) – your child’s ability to separate, transition, and interact with the staff and other children.
The ENL department participates during the kindergarten screening process if a child has a home language questionnaire that indicates another language spoken. First, we speak with the parents to learn more about the languages spoken at home. Then, we conduct and informal interview with the student. Based on information ascertained from the child, we administer the NYSITELL, a state approved language assessment that measures language proficiency. The scores attained will determine the student’s eligibility for the ENL program and their English language proficiency scores of entering, emerging, transitioning, expanding and commanding. These levels establish the number of periods of ENL required based on state guidelines.
Online Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration
The 2024-2025 Universal Pre-K Program will run 5 days a week at no cost to families. In the event that there are a greater number of applications than spots available, a random lottery will be held on Friday, March 15, 2024. You will be contacted by the district when it is time to register for Pre-Kindergarten. Registration is not required at this time.
A child must be five years old by December 1st of the year in which he/she begins Kindergarten. Kindergarten registration is held at the school the child will attend in November of the year prior to entrance.
Records needed for registration are a certificate of birth and proof of residency in Valley Stream UFSD Thirteen. Proof of immunization is also required.
You may wish to print out the registration packet and drop off your paperwork in person. Upon completion of the packet, registration is held at 1 Kent Road, Monday through Wednesday from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M., except during school closing. The central registration office phone number is 516-872-5694. All registration packets will be reviewed before the student is able to attend school.
Registration for New Students
Registration for New Students
New residents may register school-age children by obtaining a registration packet from their school or by calling the central registration office at (516) 872-5694. You may wish to print out the registration packet and drop off your paperwork in person. Upon completion of the packet, registration is held at 1 Kent Road, Valley Stream, NY Monday through Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., except during school closing. Appointments are not necessary. All registration packets will be reviewed before the student is able to attend school.
Please save the pdf with the information you enter and email the completed form, with any additional scanned paperwork, to Monique Sandorfi. Please include your last name in the subject line with “VS13 Registration
Call 872-5677 to report a suspicion that a student is illegally attending school.
Town and Village Hotline:
Town of Hempstead 489-5000
Village of Valley Stream 592-5143
Should you require such services; please contact the District’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Liaison for assistance:
Dr. Lisa Dunn