Kindergarten Screenings for 2022-2023
- Howell Road: To be announced
- James A. Dever: To be announced
- Wheeler Avenue: To be announced
- Willow Road: To be announced
Central Registration Office
One Kent Road
Valley Stream, NY 11580
Judith A. LaRocca, Ed.D.
Valley Stream UFSD Thirteen
585 N. Corona Ave.
Valley Stream, NY 11580
Should you require such services; please contact the District’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Liaison for assistance:
Dr. Lisa Dunn
Requirements for Entry Into School
New York State mandates the following requirements for entrance to a new school district:
1. A doctor signed and stamped Immunization Certificate showing proof of the required immunizations as per NYS law.
2. A doctor signed and stamped Health Certificate / Appraisal form showing proof of a physical exam within one year of child’s entrance of school. ( For Kindergarten entrance this will usually mean done after September 7 of the previous year)
3. A Dental Health Certificate containing a report of a comprehensive dental examination
Vision and Hearing Screenings are done in the Spring prior to entrance into Kindergarten by the nurse. Referrals to doctors will be made, if needed.
Kindergarten Academic Screening
The children will be screened in the following academic areas:
- Recognition of letters and numbers
- Identification of beginning letter sounds
- Identification of basic shapes and colors
- Counting objects
- Fine Motor Skills
- Cutting on a line
- Writing their first name
- Holding the pencil and scissors
Speech and Language
The speech and language screening evaluates your child’s ability to utilize appropriate communication skills. These skills include:
1. Articulation – your child’s ability to produce age-appropriate sounds.
2. Language – your child’s ability to understand messages and express needs, wants, thoughts and ideas. This portion of the screening will explore your child’s ability to understand and use vocabulary, sequence events, remember sentences of increasing length and complexity, and comprehend directions involving spatial (location) and temporal (time) concepts.
3. Pragmatics (social language) – your child’s ability to separate, transition, and interact with the staff and other children.
The ENL department participates during the kindergarten screening process if a child has a home language questionnaire that indicates another language spoken. First, we speak with the parents to learn more about the languages spoken at home. Then, we conduct and informal interview with the student. Based on information ascertained from the child, we administer the NYSITELL, a state approved language assessment that measures language proficiency. The scores attained will determine the student’s eligibility for the ENL program and their English language proficiency scores of entering, emerging, transitioning, expanding and commanding. These levels establish the number of periods of ENL required based on state guidelines.
Online Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration
Click here to register
Please note: Only families who were selected in the Pre K lottery should register for Pre K
A child must be five years old by December 1st of the year in which he/she begins Kindergarten. Kindergarten registration is held at the school the child will attend in November of the year prior to entrance.
Records needed for registration are certificate of birth and proof of residency in Valley Stream UFSD Thirteen. Proof of immunization is also required.
If you prefer to print the packet, complete it, and submit it by mail or scan to email, please use the link below to access the complete packet.
If you would prefer to print and drop off registration paperwork in person, someone is available to receive registration packets at Memorial Junior High School – One Kent Road, Monday through Wednesday, 9 AM-11 AM.
The lottery for Pre-Kindergarten is now closed. Students will be selected from this lottery on April 13, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. Members of the public may join via zoom.
Registration for New Students
Please save the pdf with the information you enter and email the completed form, with any additional scanned paperwork, to Monique Sandorfi. Please include your last name in the subject line with “VS13 Registration”
If you would prefer to print and drop off registration paperwork in person, someone is available to receive registration packets at Memorial Junior High School – One Kent Road, Monday through Wednesday, 9AM-11AM.